Bring out the wonderful flavors of your meal with the right wine. It’s easy to do with our instructions that help you find the perfect wine for your special celebration.
Selecting the Right Wine
- If you purchase wine in advance of a special occasion, remember that wine can be affected by heat and light and is best stored in a cool, dark place until you are ready to serve.
- As a general rule, light-colored wines go well with lighter foods, like poultry and fish. White wines tend to bring out the flavors of mild meals and add to the light, crisp texture. Dark wines go well with heavier foods like red meat. Reds go more with hearty dishes to complement the robust flavors.
- Depending on the size of your gathering, you may want to have both red and white wines available so your guests can choose. Regardless of tradition, people tend to have favorites and will enjoy having a choice.
- A common rule of thumb is to plan on serving 1 to 2 glasses of wine per adult throughout your meal. One bottle of wine usually serves about 4 to 5 glasses, so plan accordingly.
- Red wines are typically decanted and served at room temperature, while white wines are served slightly chilled.
- To chill a bottle of wine, place it in the refrigerator for 30 to 60 minutes. If you don’t have enough fridge space, place the bottle in an ice bucket filled with water and ice for about 20 minutes.
- A glass with a narrower opening is best for white wines and a wider glass is more appropriate for reds.
Looking for some recipes to go with that perfect bottle of wine? Browse our Special Occasion meals and find elegant dishes that are always a great accompaniment.