Beth's Gratin Dauphinois
< 30 minutes
< 3 hours
2 pounds Idaho or russet potatoes, washed and peeled
1-¾ cups whole milk
1 cup whipping cream
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 clove garlic, halved
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg* *For best flavor, use a microplane or zester to grate your nutmeg fresh from a whole nutmeg. You will need about 1/4 of a whole nutmeg to equal 1/2 teaspoon once it is grated.
- 1.Preheat oven to 325°F.
- 2.Cut potatoes lengthwise into ⅛ inch thick slices.* *This is easiest to do with a mandolin, but if you don’t have one just cut them as thinly and evenly as possible with a knife instead.
- 3.Mix milk and cream in medium bowl.
- 4.Rub butter over bottom and up sides of 2-quart baking dish. Repeat with cut sides of garlic clove to infuse butter with flavor.
- 5.Layer potatoes in a single layer in bottom of baking dish. shingling them slightly without gaps. Sprinkle potatoes evenly about ¼ of the salt, pepper and ground nutmeg.
- 6.Gently pour about ¼ of the milk mixture over potatoes. Repeat layer of potatoes and seasonings, then pour milk ove. Repeat layers until all ingredients are used or until about ½ inch of space left in baking dish.* *The ½ inch of empty space is necessary to prevent milk from bubbling over while cooking.
- 7.Place baking dish on cookie sheet; bake uncovered for 45 minutes or until top is fairly well browned. Tent loosely with piece of parchment or foil; bake 1-½ to 2 hours or until knife can be inserted very easily into center of potatoes. Cool 15 minutes before serving.