Bill's Butternut Squash and Bacon Pasta
< 30 minutes
< 45 minutes
1 small butternut squash (3/4 pound), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1-½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Kosher salt and black pepper
8 ounces campanelle or farfalle pasta
¼ pound bacon or pancetta, diced
2 shallots, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
¾ cup whipping cream
2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1.Preheat oven to 425°F.
- 2.Toss squash with oil in medium bowl; season with salt and black pepper. Roast, tossing occasionally, about 35 minutes or until squash are golden and tender.
- 3.Meanwhile, bring large saucepan pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package directions until 1 minute before al dente. Drain.
- 4.Brown bacon in large skillet over medium-high heat about 5 minutes or until crisp. Transfer bacon to a paper-towel-lined plate with slotted spoon. Discard all but 1 tablespoon drippings from skillet.
- 5.In same skillet, add shallots and cook over medium heat about 7 minutes until softened.
- 6.Add garlic; cook 2 minutes or until fragrant. Stir in cream and cooked bacon. Simmer mixture 2 to 3 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- 7.Stir in pasta, squash and cheese. Simmer until heated through and cheese is melted; remove from heat. Season with salt and black pepper; toss with parsley. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes, if desired, and additional black pepper.