Buttery Herb-Roasted Turkey
< 30 minutes
1 (14- to 16-pound) BUTTERBALL® Fresh or thawed Frozen Whole Turkey
½ cup salted butter, softened
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
10 sprigs fresh thyme, divided
10 sprigs fresh rosemary, divided
10 sprigs fresh sage, divided
4 medium yellow onion, cut into eighths and divided
8 whole shallots, peeled
4 heads garlic, tops trimmed
Garnish: fresh thyme sprigs, fresh rosemary sprigs, fresh sage sprigs
- 1.Preheat oven to 400°F. Line large roasting pan with heavy-duty foil.
- 2.Remove neck and giblets from turkey cavities; discard or refrigerate for another use. Drain juices from turkey and pat dry with paper towels. Turn wings back to hold neck skin against back of turkey. Return legs to tucked position, if untucked.
- 3.Combine butter, salt and pepper in small bowl; mix well. Loosen skin from turkey, place half of butter mixture under skin. Rub remaining butter mixture all over turkey.
- 4.Place turkey, breast side up in prepared pan, place 5 thyme, rosemary and sage sprigs and half of onion in turkey cavity; place shallots, garlic, remaining onions, and remaining herbs around turkey.
- 5.Place pan in oven; reduce oven temperature to 325°F. Roast 3 to 3½ hours or until meat thermometer reaches 180°F when inserted into deepest part of thigh not touching bone. Cover breast and top of drumsticks loosely with foil about two-thirds of the way through roasting to prevent overbrowning, if needed. Let stand 30 minutes before carving. Garnish with additional thyme, rosemary and sage.