Make-Ahead Roasted Whole Turkey
< 45 minutes
1 (15- to 16-pound) BUTTERBALL® Fresh or Thawed Frozen Whole Turkey
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 can (15-ounce) low-sodium chicken or turkey broth
- 1.Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Place roasting rack or foil ring on pan, and place turkey on top.
- 2.In a small bowl, combine butter, garlic, salt, thyme, and parsley.
- 3.Pat turkey dry. Rub ¾ cup butter mixture all over skin of turkey to lightly coat. Reserve ¼ cup butter mixture.
- 4.Bake until golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted into deepest part of thigh (not touching bone) registers 180°F (about 3½ hours). Let cool completely (about 1 hour).
- 5.Carve turkey. Place, skin side up, in a 13x9 baking dish. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Check out our How to Carve video for carving help!
- 6.Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 7.In a medium saucepan, combine broth and reserved butter mixture. Bring to a boil; pour mixture into baking dish with turkey. Cover with foil.
- 8.Bake until heated through, 50 minutes to 1 hour. Increase oven temperature to broil. Uncover turkey, and broil until skin is crispy, 4 to 6 minutes more.
- 9.Tip: The turkey can be frozen after cooking for up to 1 month. When you’re ready to serve it, thaw it in refrigerator overnight and heat as directed.