Prosecco-Brined Fig-Glazed Turkey
4 cups ice water
1 bottle (750 ml) sparkling Pinot Grigio
1 cup kosher salt
½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
20 sprigs fresh thyme, divided
5 fresh bay leaves
1 (14- to 16-pound) BUTTERBALL® Fresh or thawed Frozen Whole Turkey
3 lemons, halved
½ cup fig preserves
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon melted butter
Garnish: fresh thyme sprigs, grilled lemon halves, red grapes, baby artichokes
- 1.Whisk together 4 cups ice water, wine, salt, brown sugar and pepper in large nonreactive container until salt is dissolved. Add 10 thyme sprigs and bay leaves.
- 2.Remove neck and giblets from turkey cavities; discard or refrigerate for another use. Place turkey, breast side down, in brine mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 3.Preheat oven to 325°F. Place flat wire rack in large roasting pan.
- 4.Remove turkey from brine; pat dry with paper towels. Turn wings back to hold neck skin against back of turkey. Return legs to the tucked position, if untucked. Place turkey, breast side up, on flat rack in shallow roasting pan; coat with nonstick cooking spray. Place lemon halves and remaining 10 thyme sprigs around turkey.
- 5.Whisk together fig preserves, lemon juice and melted butter in small bowl.
- 6.Roast turkey 2 hours. Continue roasting turkey 1 to 1½ hours* or until meat thermometer reaches 180°F when inserted into deepest part of thigh not touching bone. Cover breast and top of drumsticks loosely with foil halfway through roasting to prevent overbrowning, if needed. During last 15 minutes of roasting, remove foil on breast and brush turkey with fig glaze. *Follow cooking times according to package directions; times vary with size of turkey.
- 7.Transfer turkey to cutting board; loosely tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before carving. Garnish with additional thyme sprigs, grilled lemon halves, red grapes and baby artichokes.