Roast Turkey with Spicy Rub
3 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
3 tablespoons kosher or sea salt
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons black pepper
1 teaspoon roasted ground cumin
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 (12- to 14-pounds) BUTTERBALL® Fresh or Frozen Whole Turkey
6 tablespoons canola oil
- 1.Combine brown sugar, salt, chili powder, pepper, cumin, garlic powder, red pepper flakes and coriander in small bowl; mix well. (Rub may be prepared 2 to 3 days in advance. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.)
- 2.Remove neck and giblets from body and neck cavities of turkey. Turn wings back to hold neck skin in place. Return legs to the tucked position, if untucked. Place turkey, breast side up, on flat rack in shallow roasting pan.
- 3.Brush outside of turkey with 3 tablespoons oil. Apply prepared rub on turkey skin and inside cavity. Cover turkey; refrigerate at least 12 hours or overnight.
- 4.Preheat oven to 325°F.
- 5.Brush outside of turkey with remaining 3 tablespoons oil. Roast turkey 1-1/2 hours. Then, cover breast and top of drumsticks loosely with aluminum foil to prevent overcooking.
- 6.Continue roasting turkey 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until meat thermometer reaches 180°F when inserted into deepest part of thigh not touching bone.
- 7.Let turkey stand 15 minutes before carving.