Open weekdays, 10am to 7pm CST
We'd Love to Hear from You
Let us know what you think of our products or feel free to ask us a question. We look forward to hearing from you soon.
- Butterball Consumer Affairs
- PO Box 1547
- Kings Mountain, NC 28086
Weekdays from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. CST (Central Standard Time)
How long will it take to thaw my turkey?
We recommend thawing your turkey in the refrigerator in its original wrapping. Place it on a shallow tray on the bottom shelf and allow 1 day for every 4 pounds of turkey. If you don’t have time to thaw in the refrigerator, use the cold water method – completely submerge the turkey, breast side down, in cold water. Change the water every 30 minutes to hasten thawing and allow about 30 minutes per pound of turkey. Some general thawing time guidelines are as follows:
Size (lb.) Refrigerator (days.) Cold Water (hrs.) 8 to 12 2 to 3 4 to 6 12 to 16 3 to 4 6 to 8 16 to 20 4 to 5 8 to 10 20 to 24 5 to 6 10 to 12 24 to 30 6 to 7 12 to 15
How long will it take to roast my turkey?
Using the Butterball open pan method (flat rack, shallow open roasting pan), 325° conventional oven, you can expect the following cooking times:
Size (lb.) Unstuffed (hrs.) Stuffed (hrs.) 7 to 10 2½ to 3 2¾ to 3½ 10 to 18 3 to 3½ 3¾ to 4½ 18 to 22 3½ to 4 4½ to 5 22 to 24 4 to 4½ 5 to 5½ 24 to 30 4½ to 5 5½ to 6¼
- What’s the proper way to stuff a turkey? Too much stuffing and your turkey may not cook all the way through. Too little and it may be overcooked. Discover How to Stuff a turkey the right way by visiting our Thanksgiving Guide or watch our Stuffing Video for a demonstration. And don’t forget to read our Food Safety procedures to ensure a safe turkey every time.
- Do Butterball® products contain any allergens like gluten? Butterball product labels let consumers know whether any of the top eight allergens may be present in the product. For example, a label may read “contains wheat and dairy.” Specifically, gluten is not present naturally in turkey. Only two of our retail products currently contain gluten: Butterball® Frozen Italian Style Meatballs and Butterball® Frozen Stuffed Turkey. Our gravy has been reformulated to eliminate gluten, but certain gravy packets may still contain gluten; it will be listed on the ingredient statement. Give us a call or use the contact us form on this page if you’d like to check on a specific product.
- How do I know when my turkey is done? The best way to tell if your turkey is ready to eat is with a meat thermometer. A perfectly done turkey will reach 185°F in the thigh, 170°F in the breast and 165°F in the stuffing, if you stuff your turkey. Learn how to Know When Your Turkey Is Done and create a beautifully golden turkey.
- Can I freeze my turkey? Feel free to freeze our refrigerated turkey products in their original wrap before the Best-By date. Thaw in the refrigerator and use within 2 to 3 days.
- How long can I keep my turkey once it is open? Turkey lunchmeats should be refrigerated before and after opening. Once the package is opened, expect to keep the meat 2 to 3 days in the refrigerator. If you’ve cooked a turkey or a roast, wrap leftovers and refrigerate within two hours. Again, finish the leftovers within 2 to 3 days of refrigerating.
- How do I cook my boneless roast? Butterball boneless roasts are a great way to enjoy home-roasted turkey all year long. Instructions should be included right on the package, but if you can’t find them, take a look at our Boneless Roast preparation instructions.
- Where can I find my favorite Butterball products? We work hard to be sure that Butterball products are available to as many people as possible. For more specific information on product availability, please call us at 1-800-BUTTERBALL (1-800-288-8372).