Make-Ahead Garlic Mashed Potatoes
< 15 minutes
< 30 minutes
3 pounds medium Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
2-½ teaspoons salt, divided
1 cup whole buttermilk
½ cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, cubed and divided
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
Melted butter and minced fresh chives (optional)
- 1.Combine potatoes, sliced garlic, 1 ½ teaspoons salt and water to cover in large stock pot. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook 15 to 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 2.Drain potatoes and garlic; place in large bowl. Add buttermilk, ½ cup cubed butter, garlic powder, pepper and remaining 1 teaspoon salt. Using a potato masher, mash potatoes until smooth. Let cool 15 minutes. Refrigerate in airtight container for up to 2 days before serving.
- 3.To serve, place cold mashed potatoes in microwaveable 2-quart covered baking dish. Top potatoes with remaining 2 tablespoons cubed butter. Heat on HIGH for 2 minutes. Stir; heat on HIGH 3 to 4 minutes or until heated through. Stir in 2 tablespoons chives. Garnish with melted butter and chives.
- 4.Prep Tip: Buttermilk may be replaced with 2/3 cup whole milk and ¼ cup sour cream.
- 5.Prep Tip: Fresh garlic may be replaced with garlic powder. Increase total garlic powder from ½ teaspoon to 1-½ teaspoons and add as directed, while mashing potatoes.