If you decide to cook your stuffing in your turkey, follow these simple steps to prepare and cook the stuffed turkey properly.
- Prepare your stuffing using only cooked ingredients. Use sautéed vegetables, cooked meats or seafood, etc. Use pasteurized egg products, not raw eggs.
- Place the prepared stuffing in the whole turkey just before roasting. Stuffing the night before could cause food-borne illness.
- Stuff both the neck and body cavities of a completely thawed turkey, allowing 1/2 to 3/4 cup of stuffing per pound. Don’t pack stuffing too tightly, as it may cause uneven cooking.
- When preparing a whole turkey for the oven, return the legs to the original tucked position if they were untucked for stuffing. Turn the wings back to hold the neck skin in place. (Tucking the wings helps to stabilize the turkey in the pan and while carving.) If you are stuffing a whole turkey breast you can skip this step.
- Stuffing should be 165°F in the center when done.