White Balsamic Turkey
< 30 minutes
4 navel oranges, divided
1 cup white balsamic vinegar
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup packed dark brown sugar
4 tablespoons fresh sage leaves, chopped
⅓ cup plus 3 tablespoons salted butter, softened and divided
1 (14- to 16-pound) BUTTERBALL® Fresh or thawed Frozen Whole Turkey
1½ teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
½ cup orange marmalade
Garnish: orange wedges, fresh sage, bay leaves and pepper plant leaves
- 1.Zest 1 orange to equal 3 tablespoons. Peel 2 oranges into strips, reserving peels.
- 2.Bring vinegar and orange peels to a boil in small saucepan over medium heat; reduce to a simmer. Cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until reduced by half. Discard peels. Stir in garlic, 2 tablespoons orange zest, brown sugar and 2 tablespoons chopped sage. Cook 2 minutes more, stirring frequently. Let cool to room temperature.
- 3.Combine remaining 1 tablespoon orange zest and ⅓ cup butter in small bowl.
- 4.Preheat oven to 325°F. Place flat wire rack in shallow roasting pan.
- 5.Remove neck and giblets from turkey cavities; discard or refrigerate for another use. Drain juices from turkey and pat dry with paper towels. Turn wings back to hold neck skin in place against back of turkey. Return legs to tucked position, if untucked. Cut remaining orange into quarters; place turkey cavity. Place turkey, breast side up, on rack in prepared pan.
- 6.Gently loosen skin from turkey, keeping skin intact; rub butter mixture under skin. Rub outside of turkey with remaining 3 tablespoons softened butter; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 7.Roast turkey 2 hours. Brush with glaze, and loosely cover breast and tops of drumsticks with foil to prevent overbrowning, if needed. Roast 30 minutes more; brush with glaze again. Continue roasting turkey 1 to 1½ hours or until meat thermometer reaches 180°F when inserted into deepest part of thigh not touching bone.
- 8.Remove turkey from oven. Brush with orange marmalade and sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons chopped sage. Let stand 15 minutes before carving. Garnish with orange wedges, additional sage, bay leaves and pepper plant leaves.