Charcoal grilling can give you an amazing flavor when you use the right technique. For tasty results use these instructions:
- Prepare charcoal-covered grill by removing cooking grate and opening all vents.
- Position drip pan in center of charcoal grate and place 25 to 30 briquettes along each side (lengthwise) of drip pan. Burn briquettes until covered with gray ash, about 30 minutes. Place cooking grate in grill over coals.
These directions are for Whole Turkeys under 16 lbs. Make sure you buy the right size.
- Prepare fresh or thawed turkey by removing giblets and neck, draining juices and patting dry with clean paper towels.
- Turn wings back to hold neck skin in place and tuck legs. Brush or spray entire turkey with cooking or vegetable oil.
- Place turkey, breast up, on cooking grate over drip pan. Cover grill, leaving vents open.
- Add 6 to 8 briquettes to each side every 45 to 60 minutes.
- Using a meat thermometer, cook turkey to internal temperature of 180° F in thigh and 170° F in breast.
- 10 to 16 lb. turkeys will take 2 to 3 hours to grill. When done, remove and let stand for 15 minutes before carving.