Brooklyn Style Stuffed Turkey Meatballs
< 30 minutes
< 15 minutes
½ cup yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup fresh Italian parsley
8 to 10 fresh basil leaves
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup Italian bread crumbs
¼ cup turkey or chicken broth
1½ teaspoons sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 packages (16 ounces each) BUTTERBALL® Fresh Ground Turkey
16 ounces mozzarella cheese, cut into 3/4-inch dice
1 can (24 ounces) crushed tomatoes
1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
¾ cup turkey or chicken broth
2 whole bay leaves
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1.For meatballs, combine onion, garlic, parsley and fresh basil in a food processor. With knife blade of food processor, pulse to chop mixture. Do not puree.
- 2.Combine chopped vegetables, Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, broth, eggs, salt and black pepper in large bowl; blend well.
- 3.Add ground turkey, blend by hand only. Be careful not to overmix. Place in refrigerator and chill 30 minutes.
- 4.Form meatballs. Place one piece diced mozzarella cheese in center of each meatball, then round by hand. (Use a thin coating of oil on hands.)
- 5.Place meatballs on slightly greased sheet pan. Bake at 350°F 12 to 15 minutes.
- 6.Place meatballs in slow cooker. Top with crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, broth, bay leaves, red pepper flakes, dried oregano and dried basil. Season with salt and black pepper. Keep warm in slow cooker until serving.