3 quarts water for boiling
2 cups kosher salt
5 tablespoons black peppercorns, cracked
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon granulated garlic
12 whole bay leaves
2/3-cup packed fresh sage
2/3-cup packed fresh rosemary
2/3-cup packed fresh thyme
2/3-cup packed fresh marjoram or fresh oregano
1 large head or 2 small heads fresh garlic, cut into halves horizontally
2 medium onions, cut into quarters
5 quarts ice water
- 1.The night before roasting, remove giblets and turkey neck. Rinse turkey inside and out; pat dry with paper towels.
- 2.Bring 3 quarts water to a boil in 3-gallon stainless steel stockpot.
- 3.Add remaining ingredients except ice water; return liquid back to a boil; simmer 5 minutes. Stir until salt is completely dissolved.
- 4.Pour ice water into a large clean container (large enough to fit the turkey, brine mixture and ice water).
- 5.Pour brine mixture over ice water. Stir two or three times.
- 6.Liquid must be thoroughly chilled to 40ºF or below before adding the turkey.
- 7.Place turkey in container, breast side down. Cover and refrigerate overnight or at least 8 hours.
- 8.Remove turkey from brine, rinse well. Follow package directions for roasting turkey.